Gibraltar Attractions (continued)
Historical Places of Worship
These Gibraltar attractions and places of worship have truly earned themselves a place on the list through their historial interest and architectural beauty:
Anglican Cathedral of The Holy Trinity
Despite its deceptively Moorish appearance, the Holy Trinity was not laid down until 1825. It was consecrated in 1838 at a service attended by queen Adelaide, widow of William IV.
Among those buried here is General Sir George Don, under whose direction the church was erected during his posting as Lieutenant Governor of Gibraltar (1814-1832).
The Holy Trinity Anglican church was raised to cathedral status in 1842 and became the centre for Anglicans in all of Europe, except the British Isles. Today its diocese is called “The Diocese of Gibraltar in Europe”.
The Holy Trinity Cathedral is located at the southern end of town, at Cathedral Square.
Cathedral of St. Mary the Crowned
Gibraltar, being of a predominantly Roman Catholic faith, this is one of the more well known Cathedrals in our Gibraltar attractions list.
Situated on the site of the chief mosque in the centre of town, the Cathedral was badly damaged by shelling during the 18th century Great Siege. After the Christians drove the Moors from the Rock in 1462 the mosque was used as a church. Some of the early structure can still be appreciated as well as a fragment of the Spanish and Moorish architectural tradition.
Subsequent to the tremendous damage caused by the Great Siege, the major repairs included demolishing almost a quarter of the length of the building, which then allowed Main Street to run straight through. This building is now considerably smaller than the original “Spanish Church” (as early British called it).
The church became the seat of Roman Catholic Bishops, but not “Bishop of Gibraltar” until eventually Rome elevated the church to cathedral status in 1926.
Great Synagogue and Flemish Synagogue
Gibraltar has a considerable Jewish community dating back some 300 years and the Great Synagogue, in Engineer Lane (just off the beginning of Main Street, to the left) has the distinction of being one of the oldest on the Iberian Peninsula, dating back to 1724.
Guided tours of the beautiful Flemish Synagogue, located in Line Wall Road, can be arranged (contact us).
There are a total of four synagogues in Gibraltar.
Inaugurated in 2000, the Hindu Temple, located at Engineer Lane, serves Gibraltar’s Hindu population of approximately 600.
Although not perhaps one of the more spectacular of the Gibraltar attractions, this Temple is of a more modern design and is a very popular spiritual and social location within Gibraltar.
This quaint Chapel is located at the end of Main Street, adjacent to the The Convent (Governor’s House).
Inside King’s Chapel, beneath the colours of several British regiments, lie the remains of the wife of the Spanish Governor of 1648, together with those of British Governors, O’Hara and Campbell, laid to rest in 1802 and 1813, respectively.
An oasis of peace, next to the busy Main Street, and open to the public, it started as the Roman Catholic chapel to the Franciscan Friary in 1532. The date of 1560, displayed by the entrance, probably refers to the major repairs and new bell tower that was installed after the pirate raid of 1540.
The Chapel was renamed “Queen’s Chapel” during the reign of Queen Victoria, but was restored to its original title by Queen Elizabeth.
A must to visit amongst the Gibraltar attractions!
Located at Europa Point (Gibraltar’s southern most tip), you can find this beautiful example of Moorish architecture, which has been standing at Europa point since 1997.
The Mosque is a beautiful addition to this area and when lit up at night, it stands out dramatically and can be seen from miles away.
The Mosque was paid for by the late King Fahad Abdul Aziz of Saudi Arabia and caters for the Muslim population of Gibraltar, most of them originating from Morocco.
St. Andrew’s Church
St. Andrew’s Church can be found on Governor’s Parade, accessible via Main Street (2nd left after the Cathedral of St. Mary’s the Crowned).
Throughout the 150 years since this church opened, there had been a Presbyterian presence in Gibraltar. In the mid-nineteenth century, Scottish regiments were an integral part of the British army presence on the Rock, but official indifference prevented those posted to Gibraltar from practising their own religious traditions.
In the 1840s, a group of Scottish ex-patriots began the fundraising, resulting in the completion of St. Andrew’s Church on May 30th 1854.
In 1951 an ammunition ship, Bedenham, blew up in Gibraltar’s harbour causing 13 deaths and considerable damage to the city. Gibraltar lost all the stained glass windows in cathedrals, churches, synagogues and chapels.
Cementing its 'mark' as one of the Gibraltar attractions, St. Andrew's has a striking set of stained glass windows, dating from 1953, which surround the chancel area.
Shrine of Our Lady of Europe and Museum
Located at the southern end of the Rock (Europa Point), this shrine was originally a mosque and was converted into a chapel by the Christians in 1462. The light that was kept burning in a tower above the chapel was the original Gibraltar lighthouse.
Although the Shrine was plundered and pillaged by the pirate, Red Beard, its most valuable treasure, the 15th century statue of the Virgin and Child, survived and is still there to this day. There is also a museum at the Shrine that depicts its long history.
NEXT PAGE - More Gibraltar Attractions >>>
Return from Gibraltar Attractions-3 to Gibraltar Information Homepage